Monday, March 28, 2016

DESIGN DIARY: March's Mask

With February's mask fresh in my mind, March's mask presented a unique challenge with a completely different flower and color scheme.

Reference Gathering:

I always begin by gathering references of different angles of the flowers, usually photos and botanical drawings to inform the shape of the flower.
Lady-of-march-ref-sheet-lowres by Angelic-Artisan

Design:
Using January's mask as a base, I arranged my main blossom elements on a template in Photoshop.  This time, I had two different alternate arrangements and decided to go with the more symmetrical layout.  I liked that blossoms on the side provide more interesting variations of shapes and also take up more space, especially when the stems are added into the design later.

Mark-mask-design-lowres by Angelic-Artisan
After the stems are added, the design looks something like the rough design below.  Then it was a matter of cleaning up the lines, figuring out where I want my lines to overlap each other, and printing them out for transfer.

Mark-mask-design-rough-design-lowres by Angelic-Artisan

Work-in-Progress Shots

March-mask-phase-1-lowres by Angelic-Artisan

March-mask-phase-2-lowres by Angelic-Artisan

March-mask-phase-4-lowres by Angelic-Artisan

March-mask-final-lowres by Angelic-Artisan
The final product:

A video turnaround of the finished mask:


A time lapse video of the mask's creation:

For more in-depth instruction with complete step-by-step narration, a materials list, etc., check out this Premium Video Tutorial featuring the creation of February's Mask.

Want to read these Design Diaries before everyone else?
Consider pledging to my Ladies of the Months Patreon.  You'll get early sneak peeks, plus other exclusive Rewards!

March's mask is available at my Etsy shop
Because this is such an intense mask, only 10 of them will ever be made!

No comments:

Post a Comment